‘Speechless’ Venus Williams breaks down over fatal crash

Venus Williams sat at the podium in tears Monday during her first press conference since being sued by the estate of a man who died in a car crash that police say she caused.

Williams, after beating Elise Mertens 7-6 (7), 6-4 in Wimbledon’s first round, was repeatedly asked about the June 9 incident, in which 78-year-old Jerome Barson was killed after police say Williams drove through a red light in Palm Beach County, Fla., triggering the accident.

“Completely devastating, speechless. I am just …,” Williams said, before she broke down in tears.

“She can’t say anything more about this, so I would ask you to respect her wishes, please,” the moderator said.

Williams was unable to control her emotions, though, and told the moderator she had to leave.

Previously, Williams had tried steering questions about the wrongful death lawsuit filed by the victims’ attorney that was obtained by TMZ on Friday.

“Definitely tennis is still the love of my life and gives me joy,” said Williams, who had released a Facebook statement Thursday calling the crash “an unfortunate accident.”

“I definitely played a lot of tennis. It’s a good thing to be back on the court.”

Read more...